Friday, January 23, 2009

Gluten Free Bread

Okay, this is the first of I hope many GF (gluten free) recipes I'll be posting. I am always looking for more, so if you have any, please let me know. I haven't made this, but my friend made some for us when she gave me the recipe, and it was good (comparatively).

Mix together, then let sit for 10 minutes:
3 1/3 cups lukewarm water
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup powdered milk
2 tsp vinegar (or dough enhancer)
6 eggs
1 cup instant potatoes
6 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp dry yeast
2 cups rice flour

Sift together, then add to above:
2 cups rice flour
1 cup potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
2 Tbsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp salt

Knead until smooth, about 8 minutes. "Flour" surface with cornstarch or rice flour. Divide dough into three sections and form into loaves. Place in greased loaf pans, cover and let rise 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

NOTE: For a better consistency, I substitute 2/3 cup soy flour for part of the rice flour in the second part of the recipe. It does change the flavor a little, but we still really like it, and the bread isn't crumbly. It holds together better, and it is very moist. Give it a try.

Makes 3 loaves.

No comments: