Monday, May 4, 2009

Modified Gluten Free Bread

This is a take-off of my other gluten-free one, but I've downsized it to fit my mixer, and I've also made a few important changes that make the bread taste better and have a much better consistency. If you still want to make 3 loaves, you can use the other recipe and just apply the changes I've made in ingredients. I've been trying to add more nutrients to our diet, so I use brown rice flour, and if you want you can also use about 1/4 cup ground flax seed to enhance flavor and add more nutrition.

Mix together, THEN LET SIT FOR 10 MINUTES:
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 1/4 cups water (small-I use a little less)
2/3 cup powdered milk (if you'd rather substitute buttermilk for powdered milk and water, see bottom of recipe)
1 1/2 tsp vinegar
4 eggs
2/3 cup instant potatoes
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
1 1/3 cups brown or white rice flour

Sift together, then add to above:
1 cup brown or white rice flour
1/3 cup soy flour
2/3 cup potato starch
2/3 cup tapioca starch
4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt

Mix in a mixer until smooth. Grease two loaf pans. Now there are two options. The first option is much easier, but the loaves don't usually have as smooth as a top. The second option takes more time and is more of a challenge to do, but the loaf shape is much better. So decide which one you want to do.
Option One: Spoon batter evenly into greased pans and smooth top with wet hands.
Option Two: Grease or flour some plastic wrap on a counter. Place half the dough on wrap and cover with another piece of greased plastic wrap and then use a rolling pin to roll out. Once dough is width of your pan, carefully roll it into a loaf shape by lifting one end of plastic wrap, and place loaf in greased pan. Do the same with the other half of the dough.
Cover pans and let rise in warm place, or warm oven, for one hour (slightly less if in warm oven). Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Once loaves are cooled, you can slice the bread and place most of it in the freezer. Bread only lasts a few days otherwise. Makes 2 loaves.

As a side note, I have recently been trying to substitute BUTTERMILK for the water and powdered milk. I like that recipe as well. I warm up the buttermilk, and I use 2 cups of pretty warm buttermilk, and 1/4 cup of hot water. It helps a little with the consistency, and gives it a different flavor. If using buttermilk, I place bowl in warm water at the very beginning for those 10 minutes of sitting, and later when it rises, I would definitely use a warm oven. Using buttermilk seems to take slightly longer in the rising parts.

No comments: