Monday, May 4, 2009

Gluten Free Flour Blend

I use this a TON. All my recipes that call for this also have this recipe at the bottom, but here it is on it's own. I make up a huge batch of this and store it in my cupboard, because it saves a lot of time when I'm making things if I don't have to do it every time I cook. I use this recipe as a substitute for other flour blends in recipes I find. Just be sure to add xanthan gum if necessary. I have a couple other flour blends posted, but I don't use them anymore. I love this one!

To make 3 cups:
2 cups rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca flour

Mix together and store in airtight container in a cool place.

To make 18 cups:
12 cups rice flour
4 cups potato starch
2 cups tapioca flour

XANTHAN GUM:
Don't forget to add xanthan gum when using this flour as a substitute in other recipes. Here are some basic guidelines for amounts to add. They're really just suggestions, so experiment with them, and add more or less as necessary.

Xanthan Gum per cup of flour:
cookies: 1/4 tsp
cakes: 1/2 tsp
muffins and quick breads: 3/4 tsp
bread: 1 to 1 1/2 tsp
pizza: 2 tsp

These are per Bob's Red Mill's suggestions. Personally, I have found my recipes often need MORE zanthan gum than suggested above.

No comments: