Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tangy Chicken Nuggets

I thought I might share a recipe that my family loves! The girls love to help out with this and they are so tasty. I always get compliments when I make them. (This is the same recipie I posted on my blog several months ago but thought I'd log it in here too.)

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups crushed crackers (I use Saltines)
1 tsp. oregano
1 egg white
1 Tblsp. water
3 Tblsp. BBQ sauce
2 Tblsp. peach or apricot jam

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks. Place flour, salt, and pepper in resealable plastic food storage bag. Combine cracker crumbs and oregano in another bag. Whisk egg white together with water in a small bowl.

Place 6 or 8 chicken pieces in bag with flour mixture; seal bag and shake until coated. Remove chicken from bag and dip chicken pieces into egg white mixture, coating all sides. Place in cracker crumbs until coated. Place on shallow baking pan. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces. Bake until nuggets are golden brown, about 10-13 min.

To make dippinng sauce, stir together the BBQ sauce and jam in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Serving chicken nuggets with dipping sauce (or I like ranch). If freezing nuggets for use at another time, do not prepare dipping sauce at this time.

Note: If you don't want to use apricot jam, honey can be used to sweeten the sauce while 1 tsp. cider vinegar and a few drops of hot pepper sauce will give the sauce a tany flavor.

No comments: