Monday, September 1, 2008

I Should Be on a Tropical Island Granola Breakfast Cereal

Again, this is my own strange variation on something normal. Pre-heat oven to 300. Line a cookie sheet w/ foil -- that no-stick stuff works great! You can use garden variety oatmeal for this, but I like a mixture of weird stuff -- rye flakes, wheat flakes, spelt flakes, etc. You can get the weird stuff from Bob's Red Mill -- or ask me, since I either have a stash or I'm getting ready to order.

Melt together:

  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • 1/2 a cup of honey

Add:

  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 4 cups of flakes

Once all the flakes are coated, spread onto the foil lined cookie sheet. On top of that add:

  • 1 - 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (Bob's Red Mill again!)

Roast your granola for 30 minutes, stir it around every 10 minutes. The coconut flakes should be lightly browned. Once the mixture cools a little, I spoon mine into a zipper bag (it goes too quickly to bother with a canister). Add:

  • 1 - 2 cups macadamia nuts -- lightly chopped

When serving, I add either fresh fruit or dried cherries or cranberries. You could add dried fruit w/ the nuts, but I like to keep my options open! I think you could add some extra honey and form this into bars before baking, but I haven't tried that. I have been known to put 1 cup into zippy bags & put that into a scrapbook bag w/ a tag as part of a goodie basket.

No comments: