Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pita Pizza (Revised)


Okay, here is the first in a series of healthy recipes that I'll be posting.  Leah and I count calories, so I'll be posting calorie counts on these recipes.  Leah and I love these, and so does everyone we've fed them to.  You can also use it as a main dish or an appetizer.  (Leah and I are full after one each.)


4 whole wheat pitas
1/2 cup sundried tomato pesto*
4 roma tomatoes
1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Spread pesto on pitas.  Top with spinach and tomatoes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle cheeses on top.  Cook in preheated oven at 350 for 10 minutes.  Then, broil on high for 2 minutes, or until crispy.

That's it!  Enjoy!  Leah and I also put cubed chicken on these once.  We liked it, but we go back to this old reliable version more often.  Depending on your pita, tomato, etc., these range from 270 to 300 calories or so.

*What, you don't have a stash of sundried tomato pesto?  Well, here's my recipe (revised).

Blend together in food processor until smooth:

8 oz. sundried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. dried basil (or fresh equivalent)
2 tsp. dried parsley (or fresh equivalent)
1 packet onion soup mix
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

No comments: