Friday, February 6, 2009

My Favorite Chili

I mix up all the ingredients the night before. Then I put it in my crock-pot first thing in the morning. The flavors mix better that way. If you want it hotter, add more red pepper. I have cut back the amount listed on the recipe because I have kids who won't eat it hot.

2 lb beef, cooked
1 46oz can tomato juice
1 29oz can tomato sauce
2 15oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 15oz cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (red pepper)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup brown sugar

Combine all ingredients and let cook in crock-pot on low for 8-10 hours.

2 comments:

Dean said...

This is a great recipe! My roommates said that it was some of the best chili they had ever had! I would recommend this. Fast (to prepare, anyway), easy, and tastes great!

Dean said...

My second comment on this recipe is that I usually use once and a half the recommended cumin and chili powder. (Since I don't have kids I can make it as hot as I want.)