Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Potato Soup

We love this recipe and I can never find it when I want to make it, so I'm posting it for my own sanity next time I want it.

3 cups chicken broth
3-4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 bacon strips, diced (or ham)
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half-and-half cream (or milk)
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley
Boil chicken broth and potatoes, until tender. In a different pan, cook bacon, sautee onion and garlic. Add flour, salt, basil, and pepper. Add to potatoes and broth. Heat until thickened. Add cream and hot pepper sauce and heat through, but do not boil. Add cheese to taste and cook until cheese is melted. Can garnish with parsley and more cheese, if desired.
NOTES: We used more flour, because Mike likes his soups thick. Also, the original recipe called for 1/2 tsp hot sauce, but I didn't want it too hot, for the kids' sake. 

No comments: