Sunday, April 24, 2011

Angel Food Torte



First off, I am an newly recruited supporter of angel food cakes from scratch and will never go back! It tastes better and isn't as spongy. So I made my own cake. I used Betty Crocker's recipe and folded in shaved chocolate. I also used orange flavoring instead of almond, but I'm eager to try coconut. Then again, you could just use vanilla.

Ingredients
1-1/3 cups cold whole milk
1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 tsp. instant coffee granules (optional)
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped, divided
1 angel food cake mix (8 to 10 ounces)
2 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the milk, pudding mix and coffee; beat on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. Fold in half of the whipped topping.
Cut cake in half horizontally; place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the pudding mixture. Top with remaining cake.
Fold remaining whipped cream into remaining pudding mixture; spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.

No comments: